Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses.

Work-Study is different from other types of aid in that it does not credit directly to your U-Bill. You will receive Work-Study dollars in the form of a bi-monthly paycheck deposited in your bank account.

Limited funding is available and not all students who request Work-Study will receive it. However, you can still work on campus without Work-Study. Check out the UNI Job Board to search for on-campus jobs or see below for information on Community Service Learning and America Reads.

Work-Study Policies

Work-Study Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be an undergraduate student enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours)
  • Have financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Request to be awarded work-study when completing the FAFSA

How to Use Work-Study Funds:

  • You must accept Federal Work-Study on your financial aid offer
  • Search for work-study positions posted on the UNI Job board. Contact our office if you need assistance.
  • You may only have ONE Work-Study job at a time. However, you may have both a Work-Study and a Departmental on-campus job as long as you don't work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session (40 hours per week during breaks).
  • You will receive your Work-Study funds as a paycheck. To receive pay for work-study, you will submit timecards in the Oracle E-Business Suite. A link is available through your MyUNIverse account.
  • You can track work-study earnings at any time in the Oracle E-Business Suite: UNI Student Employee Self-Service > Student Work-Study Monitoring Sheet.
  • Work-Study employment can't begin prior to the first day of the fall semester and must end on or before the last day of the spring semester.

PLEASE NOTE: Students who have not started working by the fourth week of the semester may lose their work-study eligibility. 

Earning Total Work-Study Award:

You may earn your entire Work-Study award during the fall and spring semesters. Typically, awards are made in equal amounts for both fall and spring semesters. If you earn over your awarded amount for fall, funds can be used from the spring award, provided you will also be enrolled in spring courses. Once the total Work-Study award is earned, you must be paid by departmental funds or end employment.


If I wasn't awarded work-study at first, can I be awarded it later?

With the award of a Pell Grant, a student could request to be placed on the work-study waiting list. There is a possibility that more work-study will be awarded later in the fall semester, near the end of October. The rate of work-study earnings is assessed. If the rate of earnings needs to be higher, more work-study will be awarded.

I work at two on-campus jobs. Can I earn work-study at both of these positions?

No. Students may only have ONE work-study job at a time. However, students may have both a work-study and a departmental job as long as they do not exceed the maximum hours allowed in the Student Employment Policy.

What happens if I earn all of my fall work-study before the end of the fall semester? Can I start using my spring amount of work-study?

If you are enrolled at least half-time for the spring semester, yes, you can start earning the spring amount. Typically, awards are made in equal amounts for both fall and spring semesters. If a student earns over their awarded amount for fall, funds can be used from the spring award, provided the student will also be enrolled in spring courses. Once the total work-study award is earned, the student must be paid by departmental funds or end employment.

When is the last day I can earn work-study?

The last day to earn work-study is the last day of the semester, the Saturday of final's week.

What happens to any work-study money I do not earn by the end of the semester? Can it carry over to the next academic year?

Work-study can be earned only during the academic year for which it is awarded. Work-study awarded in one year cannot carry over to the next academic year. Be sure to file your FAFSA each October to help determine your work-study eligibility for the upcoming year.

If your work-study question was not answered, please contact us via email at fin-aid@uni.edu or phone at 319-273-2700.

Community Service Learning

Community Service Learning (CSL) is a partnership between UNI and community non-profit organizations. Qualified students work at off-campus positions while earning Federal Work-Study funds. Student employees receive pay through UNI. Students who do not originally have work-study on their award, may still qualify for CSL. For more information about Community Service Learning visit our Community Service Learning webpage or email workstudy-jobs@uni.edu.

UNI student standing in front of children outside, leading them in a group activity

America Reads

America Reads is a Federal Work-Study program that provides after school tutoring for schools in the community.  With this after school literacy program, you’ll get to tutor students in grades 2 through 6 while engaging in fun activities and a book club. For more information about America Reads, please visit the Literacy Education webpage in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education.

UNI student sitting at table with child as they read together

Work-Study Informational Video