Summer Financial Aid

Receiving summer financial aid has never been easier! Review this page for information on the types of financial aid available during the summer and eligibility requirements.

Summer financial aid will be added to your financial aid offer during the spring semester, after you have enrolled in summer classes.

Your summer offer will reflect all financial aid available based on your initial summer enrollment. If you change your enrollment, contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

NOTE: Scholarships are not offered by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships during the summer, but may be offered by your department or outside agencies.

  • Have a valid 2022-23 FAFSA on file with UNI by June 30, 2023.

  • Be enrolled at least half-time. Half-time in the summer for an undergraduate is 6 credit hours; half-time for a graduate is 5 credit hours. Audited courses and Guided Independent Study (GIS) are not eligible for financial aid and do not count towards enrollment.

  • Be degree-seeking. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid. If you are pursuing a degree but not yet classified, please contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress. Please visit our website for more information on Satisfactory Academic Progress.

  • Be in good financial standing with your loan servicer. For issues with default or delinquency, please contact your federal loan servicer.

Grants Available in the Summer

Federal Pell Grant

May be awarded to undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree. May be awarded to undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree. Pell Grant eligibility and amount depends on several factors, including how many credits you're enrolled in, your EFC from the FAFSA, and your Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU).

Lifetime Eligibility Limit: Check your remaining Pell Grant eligibility by logging in to your account on the Federal Student Aid website

Credit Hour Requirements for Summer Pell Grant:

  • ​If you were enrolled full-time and received the full Pell Grant amount during the Fall and Spring semesters, you must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) in the summer to be eligible for Summer Pell Grant. 

  • If you were enrolled less than full-time for Fall or Spring, you may be eligible for Summer Pell Grant at less than half-time enrollment.

  • Please note: Summer Pell Grant eligibility is also dependent on your EFC, lifetime eligibility limits, and the number of summer credits you're enrolled in.  

Please contact our office for more information on Summer Pell Grant eligibility. ‌


The TEACH Grant is available during the summer for qualifying students (for more information, please review the TEACH Grant website). The amount is prorated based on enrollment:

  • Full-time (12 credits for undergraduates; 9 credits for graduates): $1,886
  • Three-quarter time (9 credits for undergraduates; 7 credits for graduates): $1,414
  • Half-time (6 credits for undergraduates; 5 credits for graduates): $943
  • Less than half-time: $472

Summer Loan Options

Federal Direct Loan

The amount you may borrow in federal student loans each academic year is limited (see table below for annual limit amounts). If you did not borrow the full annual limit during the fall and spring semesters, you may be eligible for the remaining amount during the summer as long as you are enrolled at least half-time. A valid MPN and Entrance Counseling is required for any federal loan to disburse. Your MPN and Entrance Counseling can be completed on the Federal Student Aid website.

Maximum Annual Combined Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Limits
Grade Level Dependent Independent
Freshman $5,500 $9,500
Sophomore $6,500 $10,500
Junior and Senior $7,500 $12,500
Graduate Student N/A $20,500


Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate PLUS Loans are available to qualifying graduate students who exhausted their Direct Unsubsidized Loan limit during the fall and spring semesters. If you wish to borrow a Graduate PLUS Loan, you must complete a Graduate PLUS application and MPN online. You must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for a Graduate PLUS Loan.

Parent PLUS Loan

If you are enrolled at least half-time and your parent wishes to borrow a PLUS Loan, they must complete the Parent PLUS Loan application and the MPN on the Federal Student Aid website. Parent's must log in with their own FSA ID.

Private Education Loan

These loans are through a bank or credit union, and are based on credit; a co-signer may be required. Private Loan Counseling is required for every loan disbursement and must be completed with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. You may be eligible for a private education loan at less than half-time enrollment depending on the terms set forth by the private loan lender. For more information, please see our Private Education Loan website.

Frequently Asked Questions