Recently Married Students

If you have already filed the FAFSA as a dependent student, but have recently gotten married, you can contact our office to set up an appointment to update your FAFSA and reflect your current situation. Please email Kristin Johnson at to get the process started. Please note, the appointment ideally should be in-person. 

If you have not filed the FAFSA and are now married, you can file the FAFSA at anytime. By indicating your current marital status is married, you will automatically be considered an independent student for financial aid eligibility. 

How It Works

The Appointment

  • A copy of your marriage certificate
  • A copy of your (student) federal tax return and a copy of your spouse's federal tax return (for academic year 2022-2023, it would be your 2020 tax information)
  • Know your current balance of cash, savings, and checking accounts along with an assets (as a couple) 

After the Appointment

  • It takes 2-3 business days to make the correction/change on your FAFSA
  • If changing your FAFSA results in new financial aid eligibility, it will be updated and you (the student) will receive an automated email that a change has occurred
  • At a minimum, independent students are eligible to borrow additional federal loans