Frequent Asked Questions

What is my admissions classification?

You’re considered a freshman at UNI if you’ve graduated from high school or earned your GED and have not completed any college courses. You’re considered a transfer student if you’ve earned 12 hours or more of college credit after graduating from high school or after earning your GED.

Do I need to take the ACT or SAT?

ACT or SAT scores are generally required for all students seeking admission as new freshmen. This requirement can be waived, however, on an individual basis. Often, a waiver is granted if you have been out of high school for more than two years.

Do you accept military credit?

Yes, we do. All credit is evaluated by UNI’s admissions office on an individual basis. If you have Joint Services Transcripts (JST) – or CLEP or AP scores – please have them sent directly to UNI’s admissions office (002 Gilchrist Hall, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018).

Can my application fee be waived?

Yes, military students can request to have their $40 application fee waived. 

What is the acceptance fee? Can it be waived?

The acceptance fee is $320 which is paid when you acceptance your offer of admission to UNI. It cannot be waived, however it can be deferred and covered by the GI Bill. 

Am I considered a resident or non-resident?

UNI charges in-state tuition and fees to any qualified veteran, as defined by the Veteran Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (VACAA), who enrolls. Spouses and dependent children may be eligible for resident tuition. Any Iowa National Guard service member, whether a resident of Iowa or not, is also eligible. 

Does UNI offer credit for service in the U.S. Armed Forces?

No. However, the admissions office will evaluate your Joint Services Transcripts (JST) and follow ACE guidelines in granting credit.

Does UNI have any social organizations for active-duty students and veterans?

Yes. You can check out any of UNI’s 300+ student organizations, including the UNI Veterans Association (UNIVA), through our Student Involvement & Activities Center.

Who do I contact?

Click here for a list of contacts.