Requesting your official transcripts

The process for getting your official transcripts sent to us begins with you.

Prior to starting your classes at UNI,  you are required to send us your official high school and college transcripts. Your official transcripts are certified copies from each high school, college, university or technical school you attended that shows the courses you took, grades you earned, and certificates or degrees you were awarded.

UNI requires official transcripts be sent to us from every institution you attended. For a transcript to be considered official, it must be sent directly from the institution. Below are directions and helpful resources to get you on your way. 

Incoming freshmen

High School Transcript

Once you’ve wrapped up your senior year, request your official high-school transcript be sent to us. You can contact your high school counselor or counseling office to have them sent. For fall entry, send your high school transcript to UNI no later than July 1.  For spring entry, no later than January 1. Delay in your transcript can cause an interruption in financial aid being applied to your university account.

College Transcripts 

If you took college credit in high school, you must request a college transcript to be sent directly from the college issuing the credit – even if the coursework is listed on your high school transcript. UNI needs the official college transcript to be sent directly from the colleges; your high school does not order the transcript on your behalf. Click on the box below to learn how to order your transcript. Send your transcript prior to orientation so we can best assist you with your college course selection.

‌Find your community college

AP, CLEP or IB Test Scores 

If you have taken AP, CLEP or IB classes, official test scores will need to sent directly from the testing institutions to us. See links below for information on how to request. 

Transfer students 

College Transcripts

Once you’ve wrapped up your courses at your current college, you'll need to request your official college transcripts be sent to us. If you've attended any other college(s) in the past, you'll also need to request official transcripts be sent directly from the college(s) to UNI. To assist with your orientation registration, you should provide your most recent transcript (it can be unofficial if you are still taking classes) to UNI. This will ensure you don't register for any courses you've already completed. Official, final transcript(s) should be sent prior to the start of your UNI classes. Delay in transcript receipt could cause an interruption in financial aid being applied to your university account.

Find your community college

High School Transcripts

Transfer students should request their official high school transcripts from their high school if:

  1. You have taken two or more years of foreign language in high school. Your transcript is needed to verify you have satisfied UNI’s language requirement for graduation
    and, or
  2. You have not completed your associate’s degree. Delay in transcript receipt could cause an interruption in financial aid being applied to your university account.

Our contact information

Office of Admissions
002 Gilchrist Hall
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018

How to request from your Iowa community college 

Click on the links below to learn how to order our Iowa community college transcript.  If you need to order a transcript from a college not listed below, contact the Registrar's Office at the college you previously attended.