Physical Education (M.A.)
This program is designed for students who plan to teach, coach or concentrate their study on one of the sub-disciplines of physical education. If the undergraduate degree was not in physical education or the student does not have at least 12 credit hours of undergraduate theory classes (exclusive of activity classes and advanced skill and coaching classes) on the transcript, the student must take 12 credit hours of either undergraduate or graduate physical education course work on the graduate degree to make up the deficiency. Three (3) credit hours of the additional 12 hours must be an undergraduate Elementary or Secondary Methods in Physical Education course. Both thesis and non-thesis options are available. Additional hours may be required if, upon entering the graduate program, the student needs prerequisites. Areas of concentration include:
Kinesiology & Sport Performance (On-campus) - This emphasis prepares students for careers in the following areas: strength and conditioning, the fitness industry, sport performance and coaching. An M.A. in Kinesiology is also used to increase a student’s chances of being accepted into physical therapy or medical school.
Pedagogy (Online - Next cohort begins: August 2022) - This emphasis prepares teachers to be effective and reflective educators while providing for the professional development needs of PK-12 physical education teachers. Focus on linking practice to theory while broadening your understanding of the educational processes as they relate to the physical education teaching and learning environment. The degree does not result in teacher endorsement by the State of Iowa.
- International Application for Admission
- All post-secondary official transcripts sent directly from your current and/or all prior academic institutions that you have attended to the Office of Admissions at the mailing address listed below.
- Mailing Address:
- University of Northern Iowa
- International Graduate Admissions
- 002 Gilchrist Hall
- Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018
- Mailing Address:
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average of a 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale
- Official TOEFL score of (79), IELTS score of (6.5), or Duolingo score of (105) to be considered for full admission
- Two letters of recommendation
- Applicant statement addressing the motivations for seeking degree, research interests or expertise and professional goals