The University of Northern Iowa offers a professional Masters of Athletic Training degree (MATR) which is the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). The Master of Athletic Training major is designed to prepare students to become athletic training professionals. It prepares students for the Board of Certification Examination as well as eligibility for state credentialing in athletic training.
Only graduate courses (course numbers 5000 or above) will apply to a graduate degree, even if the undergraduate course number (4999 or less) is listed. No exceptions will be made.
The degree is offered on the non-thesis option. Acceptable non-thesis projects include critically appraised topics, interrelated series of research proposals, conducting an empirical study, or a problem-based analysis of the literature, each of which require an extensive writing component.
- International Application for Admission
- All post-secondary official transcripts sent directly from your current and/or all prior academic institutions that you have attended to the Office of Admissions at the mailing address listed below.
- Mailing Address
- University of Northern Iowa
- International Graduate Admissions
- 002 Gilchrist Hall
- Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018
- Mailing Address
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Official TOEFL score of (79), IELTS score of (6.5), or Duolingo score of (105) to be considered for full admission
- Three letters of recommendation
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Statement of experience
- Applicant statement addressing the following areas: professional background, motivations for seeking degree, career goals and questions:
- Do you meet the technical standards required of this program with or without accommodation?
- Describe what you learned from the observation experience.
- What are you most excited about and looking forward as a potential student?