Benefit Overview

There are a variety of programs available for veteran’s educational benefits. Eligibility for GI Bill educational benefits can be extended to veterans, members of the Selected Reserves or National Guard; and children or spouses of service-connected deceased or totally and permanently disabled veterans.

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for the education and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

If you are currently in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.

Return of Unearned Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Funds

Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, UNI will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least the 60% portion (calendar) of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.

Benefits for Family Members

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits you.

To learn more about the veteran’s educational benefits programs please review the VA Educational Benefits website.

If you have questions regarding eligibility, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

If you have questions regarding certification of your UNI enrollment for VA Educational benefits, please contact the VA School Certifying Officials

Student last names beginning with A-H:

Carol Squires

‌Student last names beginning with I-R:

April Schmiesing

‌Student last names beginning with S-Z:

Michelle Kline

For questions regarding your financial aid award, please contact Tim Bakula via phone at 319-273-2722 or email at