Contact Us

002 Gilchrist Hall
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018
Map It

Phone:  (319) 273-2281
Fax:  (319) 273-2885

UNI in your community

Video Gallery of UNI

facebook twitteryoutube

Reverse Credit Transfer

Reverse Credit Transfer is a partnership between Iowa's public universities and Iowa's community colleges to facilitate the transfer of university credits back to one of Iowa's community colleges for the purpose of completing a degree, diploma or certificate. Transfer students applying to UNI need to have earned 30 or more credit hours from the Iowa community college they most recently attended prior to enrolling at UNI.

How does Reverse Credit Transfer work?

Community college students indicate their interest by answering the Reverse Credit Transfer questions on their application to the University of Northern Iowa.

By doing so, the student gives the UNI Office of the Registrar permission to send their transcript (at no cost to the student) to the community college. The community college will then evaluate this coursework to determine if degree, diploma or certificate and residency requirements are satisfied.  

Therefore, it is important for students to work closely with their community college adviser (prior to attending Orientation at UNI) to determine which UNI courses are needed. 

It is the students' responsibility to have the final community college transcript, with the notation of the degree, diploma, or certificate awarded, sent to the UNI Office of Admissions.