Reverse Credit Transfer

“Reverse Transfer” is an option that allows you to complete your associate’s degree while attending UNI.

Through a partnership with Iowa's community colleges, students have the option to transfer credits earned at UNI back to one of the Iowa community colleges for the purpose of completing a degree, diploma or certificate. 

If you intend to do a "Reverse Credit Transfer" to complete an Associates of Art (AA) degree, you must complete the Reverse Transfer Credit Form (with help from your community college advisor) and bring it with you to orientation. UNI advisors are unable to determine the specific courses needed to complete your AA degree without your Reverse Transfer Credit Form.

How does Reverse Credit Transfer work?

Community college students indicate their interest by answering the Reverse Credit Transfer questions on their application to the University of Northern Iowa.

By doing so, the student gives the UNI Office of the Registrar permission to send their transcript (at no cost to the student) to the community college. The community college will then evaluate this coursework to determine if degree, diploma or certificate and residency requirements are satisfied.

Therefore, it is important for students to work closely with their community college advisor (prior to attending Orientation at UNI) to determine which UNI courses are needed.

It is the students' responsibility to have the final community college transcript, with the notation of the degree, diploma, or certificate awarded, sent to the UNI Office of Admissions.