Returning, Teaching Licensure, and Non-Degree Students
We know plans change. If you started at UNI and would like to return to finish your degree, complete teacher licensure, a new degree at UNI, or take a class as a visiting non-degree students we are here to help!
Returning students (first degree) do not need to reapply to the university. See information below.
Check out the easy steps below to join our Panther community!
Returning Students are previous UNI students that have not completed a bachelor’s degree from either UNI or another institution. If you have already completed a degree please see Second Degree/Post-Baccalaureate Degree section.
1. You do not need to reapply. Contact the Office of the Registrar via email or phone (319) 273-2241 to inform of your plans to return. Note: If you have been suspended you will be required to submit an Application for Readmission from Suspension form.
2. Register for classes. If you need assistance planning your classes, reach out to your advisor or contact Kim Bock (319) 273-3406 in the Office of Academic Advising. Note you will need your Cat ID to register.
3. Please contact these offices for the following information:
- Purchase a parking pass at the Public Safety Office (30 Gilchrist Hall).
- Get a new/replacement ID at Housing & Dining (Redecker Center 10).
- Receive your computer login, Cat ID, and email information at IT Services Desk (ITTC 36)
- For financial aid assistance, contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (105 Gilchrist Hall).
4. If you have taken college classes at another college or university since you left UNI, please have official transcripts from the college(s) sent to the Office of Admissions. Transcripts should be sent directly from the college or university via email or U.S. mail in a sealed envelope to the Office of Admissions.
Second Degree (Post-Bacc) or Teacher Licensure
If you are a student who has a recognized Bachelor’s degree, you may be interested in returning to UNI as an undergraduate student, pursuing one of the following programs:
- Second Degree/Post-Baccalaureate Degree
- Teacher Licensure for acquiring original licensure or adding new endorsements through UNI recommendation
>>For Teacher Licensure renewals, please use Non-Degree application
- CPA Advanced Studies
- Complete the UNI application as a Post Baccalaureate (Second Degree) or Post Baccalaureate (Teacher Licensure).
- If you have never applied to UNI, log in as a new user. If you have previously enrolled or applied to UNI, log in as a returning user. If you don't know your UNI Cat ID & Passphrase, please contact IT services at (319) 273-5555.
- Please have official transcripts from the college granting your undergraduate degree sent to the Office of Admissions. Transcripts should be sent directly from the college or university via email or U.S. mail in a sealed envelope to the Office of Admissions. If your undergraduate degree was from UNI you do not need to send a transcript. The UNI Office of the Registrar will already have your credits completed on file.
- Once we have received your application & transcript , we will make an admissions decision. Upon admittance, the Office of the Registrar will determine what credits remain in earning your second bachelor’s degree or teacher licensure. The Office of the Registrar can be contacted at (319) 273-2241 or via email if you have any questions regarding your remaining coursework.
If you would like to take a class at UNI for one of the following reasons and NOT pursue a degree from the university, please continue with the steps below.
- Dual enrollment (HS students)
- To transfer back to your degree granting institution (Transient)
- National Student Exchange
- For teacher license renewal and Board of Educational Examiner minimum requirements
- Other reasons (not planning to pursue a degree)
1. Complete a UNI application as a “Non-Degree” student.
2. If you have never applied to UNI, log in as a new user. If you have previously enrolled or applied to UNI, log in as a returning user. If you don't know your UNI Cat ID & Passphrase, please contact IT services at (319) 273-5555.
3. On the application, select the following: Undergraduate -- US/Domestic -- Non-Degree
4. Choose the appropriate category for your situation.
5. Select the term you plan to enroll.
6. Sign and submit application.
7. Students planning to transfer courses back to their institution (Transient students) should also complete Transient Student Approval Form.
8 Dual enrollment students should work with their high school counselors to register for classes.
Note: Teacher license renewal/BoEE minimum requirements requires verification of a previous baccalaureate degree. Please have official transcripts from your degree granting institution sent to the Office of Admissions. Transcripts should be sent directly from the college or university via email or U.S. mail in a sealed envelope to the Office of Admissions.